Numerous principles of operation and design variations together with the consideration of installation parameters, location and the economies of operation can make it a daunting task when choosing the right level sensor for a particular application. If you don't know the difference between ultrasonic level, float level or buoyancy level technologies then you're probably not going to make the right choice when it comes to selecting a level sensor.
The main questions which need to be considered before selecting a level measurement sensor:
- What are the contents being measured - liquid or solid or slurry or powder?
- Are level measurements required either continuous or point level (discrete)?
- What are the application's minimum and maximum temperature and pressure?
- What level measurement range is required?
- What accuracy range is required?
- Is the measured medium electrically conductive?
- Is it possible to penetrate the vessel wall or be inside it?
- Will the material coat or build up on surfaces?
- If liquid, is there any turbulence, foam or vapour at the surface?
- Is contact with the contents possible or will the application require non-contact level measurement?
- Is an integral display or remote display required?
- What kind of output / alarms are required eg analogue, relay, etc ?
A Comparison of Level Sensor Options
|Medium||Ultrasonic Level||Hydrostatic Level||Vibrating Level||Float / Buoyancy Level||Radar Level||Capacitance Level||Electromechanical / Rotating Paddle|
|Clean Water||yes||yes||yes||yes||yes, but costly||yes||no|
|Dirty Water||yes||yes||yes||yes||yes, but costly||yes||no|
|Chemicals||yes||yes||yes||yes||yes, but costly||yes||no|
|Slurries||yes||yes||certain designs||no||yes||certain designs||no|
|Bulk Solids||yes||no||certain designs||no||yes||yes||yes|
iCenta is a UK level sensor specialist supplying some of the leading names in liquid, solid & slurry level measurement with clients both large and small.
iCenta is a UK level sensor specialist with experience in level technologies for diverse applications, fluid types and process conditions. Call iCenta now for advice, sales & technical information on 0845 895 1020 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
© iCenta 2017. Specialists in precision flow meters, level sensors, instrumentation & control.