A hydrostatic level sensor is a submersible or externally mounted pressure sensor that determines level by measuring pressure above it, which increases with depth. From this measurement, together with knowledge of the liquid’s density / specific gravity, it is possible calculate the liquid level above the sensor in the vessel. Temperature compensation will take into account changes in specific gravity due to variations in temperature.
- Easy to install and relatively low cost
- Good overall accuracy and long-term stability
- Applicable to a wide variety of fluids
- Not suitable for solids or liquids with suspended solids
- Can only read level above the transmitter
- Need to know the density / specific gravity of the liquid being measured