Oval gear flow meters are traditional, mechanical, positive displacement (PD) flow meters, first invented more than 50 years ago by OVAL Corporation of Japan and now widely used for flow metering applications.
Oval gear meters measure flow by employing a geared rotor to pass known volumes of a fluid through a housing.
- Traditional proven flow technology
- Simple to install
- No straight pipe runs required so flow meters can be installed in restricted areas
- Not suitable for steam or multi-phase fluids
- Fluid slippage adversely affects accuracy; this varies with flow rate, differential pressure, temperature, viscosity and clearance
- Not recommended for low-viscosity fluids, including water or water-like fluids (because of an increase in fluid slippage)
- Accuracy adversely affected by bubbles present in fluids
- The oval gear flow meter is designed primarily for use with higher-viscosity fluids, which has led to applications such as the flow metering of oils, syrups and fuels.